● By Alesha Damerville
Image from U.S. Ski and Snowboard
Olympic Trials winner Bryan Fletcher will lead a team of five nordic combined skiers in PyeongChang. U.S. Ski & Snowboard announced its selections for the 2018 U.S. Olympic Nordic Combined Team that will compete at the Olympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018 beginning February 9. The selections will be confirmed by the United States Olympic Committee when it formally names Team USA Friday, January 26.
Fletcher, a childhood cancer survivor who won his sport's prestigious King's Cup in 2011, earned his second Olympic Team spot as winner of the U.S. Olympic Team Trials Dec. 30. The remainder of the team qualified through World Cup and Continental Cup results.
"We are very happy we will have a full team at the 2018 Olympic Winter Games," said Nordic Combined Coach Martin Bayer. "It’s a relatively young team with great chemistry between them and a group of highly motivated athletes."
The opening is set for February 13 with two individual events and a team event on the Games program.
NBCUniversal will present more than 2,400 hours of coverage across NBC, NBCSN, CNBC, USA Network, NBCOlympics.com, and the NBC Sports app - the most ever for a Winter Olympics.TEAM FACTS
- Olympic Trials winner Bryan Fletcher is a childhood cancer survivor. As a young boy, ski jumping on Steamboat Springs' Howelsen Hill was a vital distraction as he underwent treatment. 2018 is his second Olympics.
- Brother Taylor Fletcher, who is known as one of his sport's best cross country skiers, will be making his third Games appearance.
- Four of the team members came out of the Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club, with Ben Loomis from the Flying Eagles Ski Club in Eau Claire, Wis.
- Ben Loomis was a silver medalist in the Youth Olympic Games in 2016 at Lillehammer, Norway.
2018 U.S. OLYMPIC NORDIC COMBINED TEAM
Ben Berend, Steamboat Springs, Colo. (6/29/1995)
Bryan Fletcher, Steamboat Springs, Colo. (6/27/1986) *
Taylor Fletcher, Steamboat Springs, Colo. (5/11/1990) *
Jasper Good, Steamboat Springs, Colo. (5/10/1996)
Ben Loomis, Eau Claire, Wis. (6/09/1998)
* Competed in past Olympics